Other Panda Worlds

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

INCURSION Final Drawings: The Process Behind The Finished Drawings

Hello again! 
Thank you all who came out to support the INCURSION: An Illustration Show this past Thurs, Jan. 17th at The Orlando CityArts Factory. I could not have even begun to imagine how well received it was going to be! There were so many people out opening night, it honestly felt like a big party rather than a gathering a an art gallery. Thank you to all my friends and family who came to support me and my art, I cannot thank you enough, every hug and every word of congratulations helped to fuel my sleep deprived and weary mind and body. And to all who were new faces who took an interest in my artwork and took the time to talk to me that night, thank you too and I hope that you continue to take a great interest in my art and my work in the future!

For now I'd like to talk more about my processes that lead me to the final paintings that you all saw that night. Here are the final drawings that I did for the paintings. It seems rather tedious and very detail oriented and at times I even felt that maybe it was a little TOO time consuming. But in the end, I was again satisfied with how much time I put into the planning of how things would look and feel and how the character would all come into play with the storytelling of this mini-series of paintings. 
All of the drawings were done with simple graphite pencils (HB, 2B, 4B, 6B, 8B, and an Ebony pencil).







But even before I got to this point in my final drawings, much more planning, downscaling, and thought went into them such as a list of feelings, words, and lists of descriptive adjectives that I wanted to convey through the paintings. I started with the quote that inspired me to do these paintings first and worked from there. Then I proceeded to spew out the thought into very rough thumbnails with no real regard to format, consistency, and thought of what things, places, and characters would look like. It's really just to get all the good, the bad, and the ugly out of the way.

Now before I could move further into refining the sketches I knew I had to get a good, final look to the main characters of the story: the princess in the palace, the princess after she ran away, the princess in the forest, the owl boy, and the princess' stewardesses. 







I drew inspiration from video games, animated movies, and old children's picture books I owned/read when I was young to form the final look of the character. Then after this I refined my initial thumbnail drawings into a more uniform format, consistent dimensions and and more stylized themes that I wanted to appear throughout the series (leaves, trees, reappearing owls, architecture). I tried to make each painting as diverse in lighting, time of day, and setting from each other as possible and so my original 9 sketches got narrowed down to 6 paintings that I felt would move the story along at a quick, even pace throughout each painting.


More WIP and process work to come!

Love, Erica.
P.S. If you're in Orlando, FL. the INCURSION show is still up at The CityArts Factory until February 15 , so be sure to stop by and see the show. There are 19 other amazing local illustrators that really made the show so diverse and inspiring. The gallery hours are 11 AM - 6 PM , 7 days a week @ 29 South Orange Avenue, Orlando, FL. 




No comments:

Post a Comment